As an Amazon Associate, I may earn a small commission from qualifying purchases. Learn more about this.
Table of Contents Show
Just like everybody, you’ve probably found yourself swiping through Hinge, hopeful that the next profile will be the one, only to be met with disappointment after disappointment.
You start to wonder if your standards are too high or if the dating gods are simply not in your favour. But what if I told you that there may be a reason why Hinge seems only to show you “ugly” profiles?
In this post, I will explore why Hinge is only showing you unattractive options, and what you can do about it.
Why is Hinge Only Showing Ugly?
Honestly, online dating can be tough with so many apps to choose from and countless potential matches, it’s easy to feel overwhelmed and even disheartened.
That’s why when you finally come across a dating app that seems promising, you want it to work in your favour.
So when Hinge came onto the scene, promising a “thoughtful dating app,” it was easy to have wanted to give it a try.
After all, who wouldn’t want a dating app that takes the time to curate potential matches based on shared interests and values?
Not only that, but the app inculcates a lot of things in the dating world like roses, easy conversation starters with the introduction of prompts and answers, and a lot of other things — all these are to sort of revolutionize the dating scene, while they make money, of course.
But as many users have come to realize, Hinge seems to have a not-so-thoughtful approach when it comes to showing profiles. Maybe…
It’s not uncommon to swipe through countless profiles without feeling any spark or attraction. Or even keep on coming across a profile you already swiped left on.
And when you do come across someone you find attractive, chances are they’re either a) a fake profile, b) no longer active on the app, or c) just not interested in you.
So what gives? Is it a glitch in the algorithm or a cruel joke played by the dating gods? Well, it turns out that the reason Hinge is only showing you “ugly” profiles might not be as sinister as you think.
It’s important to note that dating apps use algorithms to show you potential matches based on your preferences and behaviour on the app.
So, if Hinge is only showing you profiles that you’re not interested in, it’s possible that your preferences aren’t properly set up on the app.
Have you taken the time to adjust your preferences to filter out potential matches that don’t meet your criteria? If not, that could be why you’re only seeing profiles that don’t appeal to you.
It’s also important to note that Hinge’s algorithm is still learning about your preferences.
The more you interact with the app and provide feedback on the profiles you’re shown, the better the algorithm will become at showing you potential matches that meet your criteria.
What Factors Affect The Hinge Algorithm
Let’s say you’ve tried everything, from uploading your best photos to answering the prompts in the most genuine way possible, and yet the Hinge algorithm doesn’t seem to be playing along. Before we jump to the “this algorithm is terrible” conclusion, let’s dissect what actually influences this elusive dating genie.
To start with, the Hinge algorithm isn’t a mind reader—it’s essentially a sophisticated piece of code that takes data and churns out results.
What kind of data are we talking about? Well, a huge chunk of it is your profile. An incomplete or vague profile is like giving the algorithm a half-finished puzzle—it simply won’t be able to give you the best results. So tip number one, make sure your profile is as complete and detailed as possible.
Now, let’s talk about your actions on the app.
Are you swiping right on everyone without giving it much thought? Or are you taking the time to read through profiles and showing interest only when there’s a genuine spark? The Hinge algorithm is watching, and it learns from your activity on the app.
Your swiping behavior, your likes, and even your conversations are all taken into account when it’s time to recommend potential matches.
And of course, there’s the matter of your set preferences and location is a big factor.
If you’ve narrowed down your desired age range, distance, height, and other parameters, you’ve essentially instructed the algorithm to focus on these aspects. The more specific you are with your preferences, the more accurate the algorithm can be with its match suggestions.
Learn How Experts Approach Online Dating In 2023
Simple Guide, Big Results: Grab your free guide to master online dating. Join us!
Finally, remember that the algorithm is also learning and adapting over time. It’s not just about the ‘here and now’, but also about your cumulative actions and preferences. Every match, every conversation, every ‘like’ you give feeds into this learning machine, fine-tuning the recommendations it provides.
Tips to Attract Better Matches
A well-crafted profile can make a huge difference in the quality of people you attract on dating apps. Here are some tips to help you get started:
- Use high-quality photos: Your photos are the first thing people will see when they come across your profile, so make sure they’re good ones. Use clear, well-lit photos that showcase your personality and interests.
- Show off your personality: Hinge allows you to answer prompts that can help you show off your personality. Take advantage of this by choosing prompts that really highlight who you are and what you’re looking for in a partner.
- Be honest: Don’t try to present yourself as someone you’re not. Be honest about your interests, your values, and what you’re looking for in a relationship. Authenticity is key when it comes to attracting the right people.
- Be specific: Avoid generic statements like “I like to have fun” or “I’m looking for someone who’s kind.” Instead, be specific about what you enjoy doing and what you’re looking for in a partner. This can help you attract people who share your interests and values.
- Show, don’t tell: Instead of just listing your interests, try to show them in action. For example, if you love hiking, include a photo of yourself on a hiking trail or mention a memorable hiking trip you took.
- Be positive: Nobody wants to date someone who’s constantly negative or complaining. Focus on the positive aspects of your life and what you’re looking forward to in the future.
- Be open-minded: Finally, keep an open mind when it comes to potential matches. Don’t be too rigid in your preferences, and be willing to give people a chance even if they don’t seem like an exact match on paper.
Dating apps like Hinge can be a great way to meet new people and potentially find meaningful relationships. However, it’s important to keep in mind that they are just one tool in your dating arsenal and not a guarantee for success.